Residential Building Permits
Permits and inspections are required for most work to be done on a property. Click on the appropriate link in the Project Submittal Requirements section below for details about what must be included in the application submission, required inspections and permit fee. Please direct all questions to RESIDENTIALPERMITTING@roundlakebeachil.gov.
How to Apply
Submit all documents and pay at the Village Hall, upper level counter. Our Clerks will guide you through the application process and answer any questions. The property owner or a contractor may apply. A permit application from a contractor requires the property owner’s approval.
Technical Questions on Codes & Construction Prior to Application
We offer two options if you still have questions after exploring our website and reading the construction handout.
1. Starting April 8th, 2019 visit the Permit Window in the downstairs lobby to speak with an inspector about brief technical questions such as Village codes, the construction handout, making notations on your Plats of Survey and what your plans/drawings should entail. Inspectors allow about 10 minutes maximum per customer. The window is open 8:30-9:30am on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and 2:30-3:30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
2. Schedule an appointment with a building inspector if you have several questions about the permitting process itself or require more in-depth explanation about Village codes, constructions guidelines or preparing for your project. This is particularly recommended for the do-it-yourselfer homeowner. Appointments are typically a maximum of 30 minutes and are best scheduled by emailing RESIDENTIALPERMITTING@roundlakebeachil.gov.
All contractors conducting work in the Village are required to register with VRLB annually, including submission of an application, fee and proper licensing. Please be aware that registration and permit applications will be denied if a contractor owes money to VRLB and/or if the contractor has more than ten open projects within the village at any one time. Contractors that neglect to call for all required inspections will be fined $100 per missed inspection; repeated occurrences may cause a contractor to be banned from working in the village.
All permits will require one or more inspections to verify work is being done in compliance with Village codes. The number and type of inspections is detailed in the Project Submittal Requirements. The cost for required inspections are included as part of the permit fee. However, additional fees will be charged for cancellations, no-shows and re-inspections required due to a failed inspection. Actual inspections are always required; pictures will not be accepted in lieu of an inspection. Please be aware:
· It is the owner’s responsibility to call the Village to schedule all inspections (not vice-versa).
· Continuing work without scheduling an inspection at the designated time may result in the Village requiring dismantling of work to assure work has been done in compliance with codes.
· Inspections cannot be scheduled without 48 business hours of advance notice.
· Inspections are assigned a time frame: 8am to 10am, 10am to Noon or 1:15pm to 3:30pm.
· Owners/Contractors must be ready at the beginning of the assigned inspection time frame or will be charged a re-inspection fee. Inspectors cannot wait at the property while you finish your work.
Reasons a Permit May be Denied
There are three primary factors that prevent permit approval: (1) Application submission is incorrect or incomplete, (2) Drawings or specs do not conform to Village codes, or (3) The property has open invoices, liens or code violations. The Village will work with you to resolve any such issue so that your permit request can eventually be approved.
Varies: Application Permit Fee (see Project Submittal Requirements)
$30: Per Each Re-Inspection
$25: Cancellation within 48 Hours of Scheduled Inspection
$25: No-Show at Inspection
$5: Replace Permit Card
$10: Permit Extension
Permit Expiration & Extension
Permits are good for 90 days from the date issued, and may be automatically extended for an additional 90 days one time only. A second and final extension requires special approval and will only be permitted if the applicant has achieved substantial progress toward completion. Upon expiration, a new permit application and application fee is required.
Project Submittal Requirements
Click on the appropriate link for details about what must be included as part of the application submission, required inspections and permit fee.